Meatless Monday: Zesty Quinoa Salad
Growing up I never ate or even had heard of quinoa. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I was introduced to this delicious supergrain. Quinoa dates back three to four thousand years ago to the Inca population who consumed it due to it’s ability to help increase stamina of the Incan Warriors.
Though we aren’t fighting any battles today, quinoa is amazing grain that anyone can add to their diet for an instant health boost. Quinoa is one of the only grains that is a complete protein, which means it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
On top of that, it contains nearly double the amount of fiber compared to other grains and it’s chalked full of essential vitamins & minerals (vitamin B6, thiamin, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc… just to name a few).
Enjoy this vegetarian recipe for a delicious dinner and pack the rest of the leftovers for lunch the next day – talk about bang for your buck!
Or, double or triple the recipe like I did for your next social gathering.
Enjoy! <3 Coach Christianne
- 1.5 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package, but add in bell pepper while the quinoa cooks.
- Once quinoa is done cooking and still warm add in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours or overnight until chilled before serving.
- Nutrition Facts
- Servings: 4 (1 cup per serving)
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbs: 51 g
- Fiber 6 g
- Protein: 9 g